Navigation

Spotted at Super H-Mart: “Codefish for Stew”

posted on April 4, 2010 at 5:54 pm

IMG_3342
Has anyone used one of these before? The package says it is for a stew, but I don’t know any better. Thinking the ingredients–fish heads included–would be awesome for a fish stock.

This particular package was at the Super H-Mart on Peachtree Road (6035 Peachtree Road. Doraville, 30360. 770-457-0801.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

4 comments

• Re: Spotted at Super H-Mart: “Codefish for Stew”
    posted by: Jimmy · April 4, 2010  6:23 PM

my mom would occasionally buy an equivalent of this while growing up in Maryland when she didn’t have the time. it’s convenient and tastes fine, that is of you like spicy, fish stew (which I do!)

on a side note, I appreciate your blog and your affinity toward Korean cuisine.

• Re: Spotted at Super H-Mart: “Codefish for Stew”
    posted by: Sean · April 4, 2010  7:15 PM

Hey Jenn!

It’s an ingredient package for maeuntang (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maeuntang).

I’ve never used it but by the looks of it, it seems like it comes with the gochujang/gochukaru mixture in that small container. Add to fish stock, bring up to boil and add all the ingredients in to cook maybe?

I’ll take a closer look at it next time I’m in town.

• Re: Spotted at Super H-Mart: “Codefish for Stew”
    posted by: dee · April 5, 2010  7:40 PM

we buy this all the time from the duluth hmart when we’re feeling lazy. all you have to do is put all the ingredients in a big pot of boiling water and voila- maewoontang. it’s really good- not too spicy and feels clean (? i can’t think of any other way to describe it haha)

• Re: Spotted at Super H-Mart: “Codefish for Stew”
    posted by: Jason J. Shin · March 14, 2020  10:20 PM

Boil with water covering 2 inches above the ingredients in a large enough pot.
    Add ingredients added to pot and water,
    Cook on High heat and boil for about 5 minutes, then Med.Low Heat, COVER with Lid let simmer for 20 minutes. Usually steam rice served with or add preferred noodle already cooked. Or add last few minutes accordingly to the noodles cooking necessity. Enjoy.